Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ada! (I Can Hear the Sound of Your Laugh Through the Wall)




            This last drive, to DIA, is the terminal one.  Or it could be, anyway, and there should be that sense of doom about it.  Maybe we don’t see each other for another four months, half a year.  Maybe I don’t ever see the girl again.  But it doesn’t feel that way.  After having driven so long and so far, we fall back into our habits, and this is just another part of the road trip.
We come full circle when, after filling up on gas, Caitlin attempts to steer us in exactly the wrong direction.  As with the opening leg of the journey, 1,700 miles ago in Middleburg, I have to coax her back on track, and we have a laugh.  And then, after this, it’s freeway, and we can sit and not think a little while, just covering ground.
At the Departures kiss-and-ride, Caitlin helps me with the last minute repacking of my things, which is mostly just us lingering for the sake of it.  Finally, I strap myself up with my gear, and we part ways.  I turn around, for a parting shot.
“Hey, Caitlin.” I steal a line from Tom Cruise.  “I’ll see you in another life, when we are both cats.”
I do not pull it off nearly as well as I’d hoped.  It’s a good line, and certainly fitting enough, but it is too practiced.  Anyway, hope she thought it was more suave than I did, it’s the last I’ll see of the girl.
Now begins a painful, thirty-six or so hour plane flight, on my own, and into the unknown.  Well, perhaps not completely unknown.  I know I have a job.  And perhaps a place to stay?  Other than that, well… Yeah, I guess there are still a lot of unknowns.
First hiccup comes during the security screening.  “Excuse me, sir.  Would you mind stepping out of line?”
Shite.
Snacks for my trip, courtesy the Hoffmaster ladies.
The TSA agent pulls me aside, carrying my book bag with her.  My bag will have to be searched, she says, and asks if I have any weapons in my bag, or anything that could cut her.
“Uh… Not that I know of?”
Well, she informs me, x-ray had shown something with a blade on it in my bag.  “It appears to be a corkscrew.”
Eff.
“Yeah, that’s right… Sorry.  It’s in that pocket right there."  She goes digging through my effects, and I realize I have all sorts of probably suspicious-seeming stuff.  Worst by far, before she gets to the corkscrew, is my flask, which I’d completely forgotten about and which is completely full of illicit shine, courtesy that lovable Renaissance man Chris Plummer.  The agent pulls out the flask, gives it a hearty shake, shrugs and tosses it back into my bag, continuing to rummage for that corkscrew with it’s tiny, one inch blade, obviously just waiting to be used by some crazed wine enthusiast to slit throats…
So my prized wine key gets confiscated.  But shine gets through, which will be important on my leg to Singapore, that twenty-one hour bitchery of a flight.
The first leg of the flight is a two and a half hour hop over to LAX on what turns out to be a cramped Frontier Airlines flight for everyone but myself and the young professional, Austin, with whom I share the back row of the plane, the two of us spread out over three seats.  I’d meant to sleep on the flight, what with not having gotten much shuteye the night before, and even do doze for the first half hour, nodding over my current reading, The Proud Highway: The Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, a collection of Hunter S. Thompson’s “fear and loathing” letters.
Anyhow, Austin takes up an interest in the book, and asks if he may flip through it while I sleep.  I consent and, upon rousing myself after a brief power nap, Austin and I use Thompson as a jumping-off point to have a long, meandering conversation, waxing philosophical.  Austin is an overt and talkative type, a young guy but perhaps a bit older than me, and much better put together.  It’s a good talk, and the time passes quickly.
As we disembark from the plane, with Austin headed out into the city and me headed to International Departures, he kindly extends an offer, knowing the general state of my financial affairs.
“Look, I’d like to help out in some small way.  Let me buy you some snacks or junk food or whatever you want for the flight to Singapore.”
Good Lord, I am such a walking charity case.  Though I hate to admit it, I can’t deny how much I’ve relied on that whole Blanche Dubois “kindness of strangers” thing to get where I am now, and I think Austin senses this.  I put up token resistence, but get a very definitive-sounding “I won’t take no for an answer.”
A thousand miles of Pacific coast on the
underbelly of the continent.
So, I allow Austin to patronize me, and grab some Clif Bars, granola and chocolate covered pretzels, and some agua.
Austin is on his way to baggage claims and I’m off to make my connection, so we exchange contact info, shake hands and  linger a minute over the topic of our mutual adoration of Lana del Rey.  Finally, we go our separate ways, me headed into the belly of the beast, getting lost for a few hours of layover in LAX, the last American outpost before I go international.

*  *  *

The next day is a walking nightmare, a weird smearing of insane amounts of bad airline food (five meals in total, by my reckoning), good in flight movies (The Master, Lincoln, Raging Bull, The Dark Knight Rises and, to numb my mind for the last few hours, The Expendables II), shit sleep, cramped quarters and a general sense of atrophy.  There’s an hour-long stopover in Tokyo, and a four-hour layover in Singapore at three in the morning, and I sit down and read and watch as, slowly, the airport comes to life, and the ranks of the few stragglers like me who still have a connection to make are bolstered by the rest of those headed south.
The last leg of my journey is a seven hour flight into Adelaide, spent next to a fat Australian who’s not much for talking, with a Singapore woman’s seat reclined into my lap.  It’s so early in the morning that everyone pulls their shades down to try and get some shuteye.  Everyone but me, who hasn’t hardly slept in days and who’s too strung out to start doing anything about it now, and who everyone keeps asking to pull his shade down.  But to Hell with them, I want to see the damn thing, when it comes roaring into view.
Ada.
But I miss it, somehow, the approach to land.  Suddenly, we’re just over it.  Vast, iron-red and desolate Outback.  Good Lord, after thirty-six hours of travel, or a week if you want to include the trip from VA, I’m flying over Australia.  500 miles per hour and 40,000 feet up, having covered half the planet in a week and outracing the sun most times…
But even this doesn’t do the enormity of it justice, and it’s only when we come up the underbelly of the continent and turn east with the miles of coast and surreal Pacific waters that it sinks in, and sets my heart racing and me catching my breath like a sucker punch in the gut.
Good Lord, Adelaide comes roaring into view.

No comments:

Post a Comment